How long do garbage disposals last? Many homeowners don’t put attention to their garbage disposal devices until they have no choice but to replace them with a new one.
A well-performing garbage disposal helps in keeping your kitchen sink and water pipes clean. However, since it has to take in and shred waste daily, it is prone to damages and breakage.
If your garbage disposal needs a quick fix or you need to install a new one, you can count on our experts here at Stellar Plumbing!
With over 30 years of experience in the plumbing industry, we are well-equipped and trained to handle your garbage disposal problems and plumbing issues. Reach out to us anytime you need a helping hand!
Read on to find out more garbage disposals and how you can make yours last longer.
How Long Do Garbage Disposals Last
Generally, a garbage disposal should last for up to 15 years. However, you need to practice regular maintenance and repair of the appliance to maximize its lifespan.
Factors That Affect Garbage Disposal Longevity
- The quality. New, modern, and heavy-duty models have better lifespan compared to older counterparts.
- The items you dispose of on it. Disposing of greasy and fibrous foods regularly can negatively affect the disposal.
- Usage. The more you use the appliance, the more you can wear out disposal blades and motors.
How To Make Your Garbage Disposal Last Longer
Do garbage disposals go bad? The answer is yes.
What you put in your garbage disposal can affect its longevity. Here are the items that are safe to be disposed of in this kitchen appliance:
- Liquids and soft foods
- Non-starchy fruits and vegetable scraps
- Ice cubes
- Chopped foods
- Citrus rinds
Meanwhile, these are the items that you should avoid to keep the service life of the device:
- Oil and grease (to avoid clogs)
- Uncooked pasta and rice
- Fibrous foods (such as potato peels, onion skin, and asparagus)
- Coffee grounds
- Fruit pits, bones, and other hard food substance
- Items that are not food (paper scraps, cigarette butts, glass)
Garbage Disposal Maintenance Tips
Here are some tips to make sure your garbage disposal will have a long lifespan:
- Use soapy water while running the disposal to reduce the buildup of debris and rinse the device during use.
- Practice weekly disposal maintenance. Clean the device by filling your sink with cold water and letting it drain through.
- Follow this maintenance tip every month to ensure it’s clean and working properly: 1.) Pour equal amounts of baking soda and vinegar into the device, 2.) Rinse with hot water when the mixture stops foaming.
Signs You Need A New Garbage Disposal
So, how do you know if your garbage disposal needs to be replaced?
Even if you clean and maintain the unit regularly, a problem may still arise if it’s already getting old.
Install new garbage disposal ff your current unit is near 15 years old and experiencing these signs:
- The appliance stops running
- Noisy sound
- Slow performance
- Jamming or clogging
- Humming noise
- The appliance is too silent
Let The Experts Handle Your Garbage Disposal Needs
Saw any telltale signs of garbage disposal damage? Don’t ignore it! Clogging is the most common damage of a disposal device. Ignoring it can make things worse for your sink and water system.
Whether you need help in cleaning, repairing, maintaining your garbage disposal, or if you need to install a new one, Stellar Plumbing’s expert technicians are here to serve you 24/7!
We can help you install fixtures, fix and maintain any issues with your whole plumbing system!
Call our customer service immediately. Our team of seasoned plumbers can assist you 24/7!